Tuesday 17 September 2013

Deadman's Cellphone at Jagriti

I was very very excited when Jagriti opened in Whitefield, a theatre with actual plays that didn't take 2 hours to reach on a weekday evening!! I was even a Jagriti volunteer during their first season and the first play of this season was something I was looking forward to. That it was directed by Vivek Madan was icing on the cake and increased my expectations.
After a short weekend vacation and a hectic work week, followed by a malleswaram wknd (the kind where I drag E to spend time with my parents, usually involves doing crosswords, stuffing myself with food and watching mindless crime/detective TV serials if mom is around) and a awesome "Onam Sadhya", which deserves its very own post, we found we had time to go watch the last show of "Dead man's Cellphone".
The show was pretty packed, not house full but a very good turnout, the play itself left me feeling meh. The acting was fairly decent across the board, and the protagonist deserves a special mention for her energy and enthusiasm. The use of the AV to set the location of the scene was an interesting touch, even the suspension of paper and the clothes rack was unique, but the story itself didn't make me think or feel. In my opinion there were too many blackouts and the interval was entirely unnecessary.
It was however a good way to spend a Sunday evening, for supporting the arts and the local theater if nothing else!

No comments:

Post a Comment