Friday 13 September 2013

New age for Kannada movies? - Lucia by Pawan Kumar

Its been a pretty hectic work week and after some considerable "asking" (aka periodic nagging) by E, I agreed to go for a mid-week evening show of "Lucia" at PVR.

Before I begin the review, let me talk about the "PVR director's rare", it is a new concept introduced by PVR where they showcase one movie that plays one show every day per week. Last week was the Pahadi movie called "When Hari got married", an almost home-video style documentary about a Dharamsala taxi driver's arranged marriage. Going by my limited experience, it seems these movies usually has subtitles and play in the smallest screen (screen 9 at PVR phoenix Market city) and the last time we were there there were about 7 arty-type people who were "oh-so-taken" with how "real" the movie was...


For Lucia however there was an almost full house, we still managed to get decent seats and armed with popcorn (you'll discover that's the mainstay for all my movie watching - good, bad and rohit shetty) we settled in to watch the movie.


Without giving away the plot, I'll say that the story grips you pretty much from the get-go. It does leave you utterly confused at times but with the promise of answers ahead you are compelled to keep watching. The acting is fairly good across the board, the main characters come across as familiar even though the actors themselves are not big names (atleast not ones I know, please don't kill me if they are kannadiga superstars!!).


I would watch the movie atleast once more, just to appreciate the nuances that in retrospect were excellent. 


With a strong storyline, good treatment, pretty female actors and a couple of item numbers thrown in, it should appeal to a large variety audience, I hope it does well in mainstream theatres as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment